Friday, June 16, 2006

Friday Zucchini Bloggin'

This is the harvest as of yesterday. I get about four a day and eat about two each evening. Tonight there will be five that are ready to pick. Pretty soon I start giving them to my neighbors. Especially once the snaps start coming in.
Last night's dinner: homegrown zucchini, store bought sweet red pepper, garlic, onion, mushrooms and andouille sausage. Normally I am a chicken and fish eater but once in a while I eat andouille. It's a spicy pork sausage made in Louisiana. This particular brand I used last night is not my favorite but the other brand I like was unavailable.
Everything chopped up chunky style except the sausage. I cut that fairly thin.
Olive oil in the wok. Toss in the garlic first to spread that wonderful flavor. Click on this pic or any pic for that matter for the larger image. This one is cool becuase you can see the garlic frying.
Next the onions and mushrooms go in. There is literally only about a minute between each picture. If you don't do this fairly quickly and evenly, the garlic will burn and everything else cooks unevenly. One thing about the wok I like is that it cooks everything fast and lite.
Next in goes the artery clogging andouille sausage. Hey, once in a while I gotta eats some crap.
Finally, the zucchini and sweet pepper.

All done and ready for consumption. Yes yes, that's Tabasco sprinkled on. I rarely eat andouille without a little Tabasco, plus there's garlic and mushroom in this dish. Normally I wash this down with Guiness but last night it was Modelo Especial.

World politics, especially the influence and shaping of world politics along with the stress and disharmony being created at home by the current Republican power mongers have really taken the wind out of my sails. Every day I read or learn something even more depressing than the day before. I feel pretty powerless and washed out. I'm concentrating on my schoolwork more and looking forward to some changes that will be occurring for myself personally in the coming two years.

I have been abstaining from political topics simply because it has become just too damn stressful for a variety of reasons. The United States is screwing up Iraq, people are being killed and maimed on all fronts and for what exactly? Are we really making any type of progress at all? Real progress for the world and humanity?

No. We are not. We are only adding to the cycle of violence. This is so obvious on the most basic and primitive level yet it seems to sail right over most of our population's heads.

Couple that with the Nazi mentality of this administration and the people that continue to support and dismiss domestic spying, torture tactics and attempts to write discrimination into the Constitution has really caused me to examine our nation and what exactly is going on.

Some want to build a fence to shut out Mexico yet we cannot even build a wall to protect New Orleans from flooding? There is no more racist and bloodthirsty group in this nation than the religous right.

There is a whole generation of Iraqi children being scarred in unimaginable ways that this country is going to pay for dearly in the future, of that there is no question.

What are we doing?

Enjoy the little dinner show and remember that we are making it impossible for people in Iraq to even dream about having a quiet day in their garden and making a nice meal for their families, or what is left of their families. ,

Labels: , ,

2 Opinions:

Blogger Dr. C speaks!

Good post, as usual, RJ. What I don't understand is why so many people feel exactly the way we do and yet we can't seem to accomplish anything. We put our faith in Kerry - nada. We put our faith in Fitzgeral - nada. It seems like every time we stick our neck out it gets whacked. I share your frustration.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Rachel speaks!

Thanks for the great recipe!

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home