Saturday, July 30, 2005

Summer Listening Livejournal Thingy

Vestal Vesta puts the pressure on me and four others to reveal our musical hot buttons for the summer:

“List ten songs that you are currently digging ... it doesn't matter what genre they are from, whether they have words, or even if they're no good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying right now. Post these instructions, the artists, and the ten songs in your blog. Then tag five other people to see what they're listening to.”

Vestal has quite a mix going on there whereas my summer tunes are less varied:

1. Bafflin’ Smoke Signal: Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry – Bombin' reggae beat that will make you move your feet, wave your hands, and gyrate your body into weird moves, all while referring to the Vatican and the hypocrisy of it all.

2. Egmont Overture: Ludwing von Beethoven – One of Ludwig’s most powerful pieces. Very inspiring, motivating and just plain kick ass classical music. From a compilation disc.

3. Ketchy Shuby: Peter Tosh – Get next to your lover, burn one, laugh a little, love a little.

4. Ring of Fire: The Late Great Man in Black Johnny Cash - Another one of Cash’s timeless tunes, very gritty and down to earth. Speaks to the common man and every day struggles of life and love.

5. Vietnam: Jimmy Cliff – This song always makes me angry and sad at the same time. Listen to it much more since we invaded Iraq.

6. 3 O’clock Road Block: Robert Nesta Marley – Powerful song for the ages. The entire Rebel Music CD should be required listening material for any and everyone under the age of 85.

7. Playin’ With My Friends: B.B. King’s Blues Summit, duet with Robert Cray - That whole CD rocks and it’s one I’ll let spin more than once. Blues served with catfish! (that whole album is packed with B.B. playing duets with other blues greats)

8. Buck Jump: Dirty Dozen Brass Band – New Orleans favorite! This is a hoppin’ tune. Have seen the DDBB at a couple of Jazz Fest’s and here in ‘ol Virginny as well. Listening to this tune right now as I put this list together!

9. Violin Concerto (Rondo): Ludwig again – Played violin as a child, from 8 years of age to age 15. Still have my fiddle and it's on the list of things to do once the current studies are finished. The violin is one of the most beautiful instruments to learn, play, and listen to and I think this concerto does the instrument justice.

10. Them Belly Full: Marley again – What can I say? I think Marley’s tunes are timeless and speak to the soul. The man’s voice was a musical instrument in and of itself.


Ok, that’s my rap sheet…who can I pick on?

How about Mark of recidivist journals, Dr. C., oldwhitelady, Paul the spud at Adventures of the Smart Patrol, and saving the best for last: Pepper from the Daily Pepper!

7 Opinions:

Anonymous Anonymous speaks!

Why thank you for the invite! I am going to make that my activity for the evening!

2:21 PM  
Blogger oldwhitelady speaks!

My song list for the song meme

I was already hit for it, but I'm sure I can use the same one, right?

11:34 PM  
Blogger oldwhitelady speaks!

Redjalapeno - I've, at least, heard of some of yours...
Paul the Spud - realize this... everyone has weird taste in music, except me! :)

1:22 AM  
Blogger Dr. C speaks!

Damn, get back to that fiddle. If you did it when young, you can always go back. Just like skiing.

12:34 PM  
Blogger not in use speaks!

That's your lot: http://recidivistjournals.blogspot.com/2005/08/summer-music-meme.html

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous speaks!

Some of my favorites this summer are from the old school.


1. Burnin’ & Lootin’ - Bob Marley
2. Soft And Easy - Donald Byrd & The Blackbyrds
3. Mas Que Nada - Sergio Mendes
4. Devotion - Earth Wind & Fire
5. Right To Be wrong - Joss Stone
6. Heaven - Kem
7. Each Other - Kem
8. Simple Man - Lynerd Skynerd
9. Shine On Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
10. Joy Inside My Tears - Stevie Wonder

10:11 AM  
Blogger Redjalapeno speaks!

Marley is the shit.

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home