Monday, October 10, 2005

Liberal Indoctrination

Neck deep in mid-terms, plus my day job is wearing me out.

There’s plenty of news out there to dissect and analyze, but I just don’t have the time at the moment. Will be writing about Islam in the coming days, once I get past the American Literature mid-term, the Statistics test, and the US History mid-term.

We have an excellent assignment for the essay part of US History class:
“Imagine you have been transported back in time to the 1400’s.
Select what culture you would rather be a part of and explain your position. Be sure and compare and contrast the cultures.
Native American Indian, African or European.”

I’m guessing most of the black people in class will choose African and most of the white people will choose European. I’m going with Native American Indian. Mostly because when I’m fishing in the James River, I think about the history of Virginia, and all the people that have walked the banks of this river. I wonder about the Indians as they hunted and fished along this river, as they saw the white man invade their homeland and take their land. I wonder what the Africans thought about the river as they were brought here as slaves, and also wonder how man of them threw themselves in the river to avoid slavery.

Anyhow, once the dust settles a bit, will be taking a look at Islam and the view of this religion from conservatives that I’ve talked to, as well as taking a look at Bush’s declaration of world war against Muslims, and his cronyism pick of Miers.
If anyone had any doubts that Bush lives in a bubble and has a much larger religious agenda, his speech and nomination of Miers, combined with his war in Iraq, should put those doubts to rest and indeed confirm the fact that Bush is a religious fundamentalist that has an extraordinarily clouded view of religion and thinks he is the modern day leader of the Crusades.

Mr. Uniter has polarized an already divided nation.
Now he is dividing the party that supported him into little pieces.
Why?
Logic does not exist in his ‘leadership’.
He is a recovering alcoholic, now drunk on power and religion.

What’s it gonna take people? ,

6 Opinions:

Anonymous Anonymous speaks!

Good luck on your essay! That's a terrific assignment, and you'll have to share the results.

I am not sure if I can label Bush a "religious fundamentalist" in the strictest sense of the term. His religion comes from the higher classes rather than the masses. I'd say he's more a believer in "divine right" rather than the fundamentalism of Dobson, etc. He just uses the lower-class fundies to get what he wants because higher powers anointed him the king.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Redjalapeno speaks!

Thanks Pepper, you're quite right. I sometimes lump them all under the 'fundie' category.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Dr. C speaks!

If I had my druthers, it would be Florence or Venice in the 15th century. Native Americans, however, really got it in spades. I think the worst was Cortez and those who followed in Mexico and Peru (The Conquest of New Spain by Bernal Diaz and Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond are good sources). I'd be partial to the Cherokee, since I was born near their original stomping grounds and the Navajo. For the latter, I always found Tony Hillerman a good source of info. His "Dance Hall of the Dead" is excellent for info on the Kachina culture of the Zuni. I wander.
Good Luck on your exams.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Redjalapeno speaks!

Interestingly enough Doc, I chose Cortés for a bibliography in the same class. I went to the library and garnered about 10 books, and have culled that down to two.
Thanks for all the support and advice.

12:23 PM  
Blogger oldwhitelady speaks!

What's it going to take, you ask? Too bad we can't get him caught out playing around with someone other than Laura. A sex scandal would fire up the ole christian fundies, for sure! Other than that, it looks like it's ok to do ANYTHING else - run the country down, put the country deep into debt, send kids off to fight some illegal war, etc...skies the limit, except in the bedroom.

11:14 AM  
Blogger oldwhitelady speaks!

Oh, yeah, and good luck with the mid-terms. Take lots of breaks.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home