Monday, August 01, 2005

Tomato Bloggin'


Picked this beauty from the garden a couple of days ago. Not sure if it's the total absence of rain, 95+ degree days, or just a wonderful mutation mom nature likes to display every now and again.

In general the garden has given up. It started off looking great and producing quite a bit of grub, but no rain since late June has taken it's toll.

Had to yank up all but 3 of the zuchinni plants and about a third of the snap beans. Once the bugs get in there, disease and mold follows and that carries right into the produce. The zukes were turning yellow and hairy before they reached 5 inches, and the ants and fruit flies were having a field day.

'Sniff sniff' The jalapeƱo plants have given up as well. I have one crop, waiting for them to turn red, and no new blooms. It doesn't help that I snatch one occaisonally either.

The Thai peppers however seem to be thriving. I stepped on one picking that freaky tomato and snapped it off at the ground. Now there's a small tupperware in the frig full of green Thai's. I see a Bangkok burrito in the very near future. ,

5 Opinions:

Blogger Cassie Schoon speaks!

Thai chiles also make for excellent Thai soups . . . there is this one they serve at Siamese Plate in Boulder that is made with chicken, thai chiles, coconut milk and cilantro.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Redjalapeno speaks!

Mmmm, love noooodle bowls.

'Cept I'm allergic to coconut, DOH! For that reason I have to shy away from some curry dishes and other such fun dishes.

We are fortunate to have several Vietnamese places as well as The Thai Diner Too!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous speaks!

Thai food is yummy. My Thai Pepper plant looks healthy and is thriving. How much longer??? The anticipation is killing me....it being my first time and all.
And I can vouch for the Thai Diner- good food and I liked the decor.
The tomato is really different. Are you planning on eating it?

3:07 PM  
Blogger Redjalapeno speaks!

Damn right I plan on eating it, all four of it.

3:25 PM  
Blogger oldwhitelady speaks!

The tomato looks weird, but still looks delicious. I'm enjoying tomatoes and peppers from my garden. Yum. I sympathize with the non-output of the garden. I noticed I, too, have a lot of ants playing around on my tomatoes.

1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home