Thursday, August 11, 2005

Silent March On Washington Update 1

Well, this is going to be my focus until it either happens or falls apart.
I am truly grateful for the support shown so far, but obviously we need to do more.
This is about our homeland, our country, so the support is for that, not me.

I got this email from Shakespeare’s Sister:
“If you organize it, or find someone who will, I'll promote the hell out of it! :-)”

Step one, I need help. Any suggestions or any people that know how to go about organizing something of this nature, please contact them, send them here, or send their info here for me to contact.
I really don’t know where to start with this thing.

The real crux of this is saving our country from the tyrant Bush.

Cindy Sheehan has single-handedly exposed Bush for what he is. We all have seen him, we all knew, but Cindy has shown the American people that the Emperor has no clothes, NONE.

He’s killing our citizens in a false war, he’s killing Iraqi’s in this same war. He is using our military for his own means. All of these things are treasonous and un-American of the highest degree.

I am tired of whining and complaining and doing nothing. There are million websites out there and we all go there, poke fun at wingnuts and have a laugh.

Here’s the deal: those wingnuts are in power and they are tearing this country apart. Those wingnuts are doing something. They are organized and driven, and we all are seeing the fruits of their labor. Do you like the taste?

It’s time we put the snark on hold and actually do something.

The power of the silence of one hundred, two hundred, five hundred thousand people marching on Washington is what we need. A simple American flag in each hand, silently honoring our fallen men and women who have sacrificed their lives under this tyrant, cannot be in vein. They are fighting for this country, now it’s time for non-military citizens to show what the power of the people can do.

This vision is a vision of unity, of unity we must show or we will NEVER get this country back on the right track. That track being freedom and liberty for all American citizens regardless of race, faith or sexual orientation.

This is the land of the FREE, and the free have to get off of our ass and demand this tyrant step down.

Check your patriotism, check your gut, check what you want out of life and what you want this country to be.

WE CAN DO THIS. ,

12 Opinions:

Anonymous Anonymous speaks!

I agree with one exception. You talk about the liberty of all people, but forget the poor.

The poor are the ones who go to war. My nephew served a year in Iraq. For all I know, he's back there now. My family does not stay in touch with each other, and I am pretty well estranged from them all.

Not because I want to be. Getting any news out of my family is worse than pulling hens' teeth.

But there is a bigger family. We citizens, when you get right down to it, are one huge extended family.

And this writer, on whom I'm commenting, is 100% correct when they say we must unite. I like the idea of a HUGE silent march on Washington. That is the kind of thing that makes national AND INTERNATIONAL waves. Bush cannot ignore that. He may not come out and speak to the marchers, but you can bet there will be tv cameras and some of his people will be making note of it. Bush will know about it, in other words.

But it needs to be a HUGE march. 500,000 Americans and/or sympathizers from other nations would be nice.

Totally silent as they march. Holding small American flags, every one. That would be POWERFUL, folks!

Let's do it! Who will organize this thing? I cannot. I am one of the desperately poor in this country. I cannot even afford to go or to contribute, but - believe me - if I could, I would.

My spirit is with all dissidents at this time. I have been against Bush from the very beginning because when I lived in Denver in 1992, I saw only too clearly how distant Bush I was. He came to Denver, but not to see ordinary people. Oh no, he went to a fundraising dinner among people like him, the rich. Then he left. He couldn't be bothered with being on tv, even.

Clinton came, spoke to a huge group of people downtown (anyone who wanted to be there). I was one of the audience. He appeared on tv. Then, and only then, did he leave.

As we all know, Clinton wasn't a perfect president, but he was close to average people. That, in my mind, sets him head and shoulders among many, many of our presidents.

May God bless us all.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Redjalapeno speaks!

Thanks Liz.

Let me be clear, when I say 'all' people regardless of race, color, sexual orientation, I mean everybody. Poor, rich, in the middle, whatever. I mean everbody.

Spread the word, the more people we can get on this idea the more likely we can unite and show what true democracy is all about.

Thanks for your support!

11:53 AM  
Blogger Carolyn speaks!

I was just passing by and saw your post. I really don't know how you'd go about organizing this either. The only idea I had was if you could somehow tap into the Democrats per state that organized and held "house parties" for John Kerry last year, and even those who headed up the DremaDems. They may be able to help you. Perhaps through Democratic Headquarters? Sorry I can't be of better help.

But, if this came off, I would go!

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous speaks!

I love this. Although I really don't think I can hold back the snark. However, I think I could try to be silent for the entire length of a march.

I'm with Shakespeare's Sister. I'm on the West Coast, but I will promote like mad and rouse my East Coast Posse.

I've NEVER organized anything like this, but your first step should be to contact MoveOn.org. Although it seems like they handle mostly phone and e-mail bombing, they held a successful pro-Democracy/antiwar bake sale.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous speaks!

OK - here's a little info. MoveOn has Operation Democracy teams, and you may be able to reach one near you. http://www.moveonpac.org/team/

6:44 PM  
Blogger not in use speaks!

If we could put 2 million peaceful people on the streets of London alone - and over a million elsewhere in the country - that is nearly 5% of the population on one single day, in one single cause, against the invasion of Iraq, then I am damn sure that the right cause can put 500,000 on the streets of Washington.

Be wary of inviting people from overseas though .. great capital would be made of that by the right wing claiming that it was foreign inspired etc. Just remember the unholy stink they raised when a London paper encouraged its readers to write to the citizens of one single town in the USA begging them not to re-elect Bush.

7:11 PM  
Blogger not in use speaks!

....... but hey, even with a show like that they didn't listen to us; but at least we know that we tried to do the decent thing.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Ca... speaks!

I'm a Conservative Republican but I heard about your spot and wanted to check it out.

I agree Bush is the worst kind of president but not for the reasons you mention. (Not all of them)

I know that if he wanted to he could make the price of oil come down to a reasonable level. He won't admit the price gouging by OPEC is just another form of terrorism.

He won't cut out foreign aid to those nations such as Nigeria who are gouging us.

He has been a real disappointment to me, a dyed in the wool Republican.

I've been trying to get people to call, send e-mail and write letters to the president with carbon copies to the VP, Reps and Senators. Remember when Rush got people to do that and it got so bad it shut down the phone company. If W got 20 million e-mails and calls a day he'd pay attention.

Something to think about.

PS I wouldn't have anything to do with Moveon.org. They're a bunch of liars.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Dr. C speaks!

Keep at it RJ. We'll support you. It would be hard to be silent the WHOLE march. Snark just rises up when I get near the White House (I once turned in the gate of the White House back in 73-74. All the lights came on but they didn't blow me away. Would be instant cruise missle now. I also popped a champagne cork over the back fence. Ah, the days when we weren't infested with assholes.)

10:56 PM  
Blogger not in use speaks!

I got this list of American ‘peace’ sites and groups from a friend at London’s STOP WAR.

I haven’t actually looked at the sites, or edited the list in any way, but a quick look at the names suggests that at least some of them probably aren’t entirely appropriate, but I’ll let you make your own decisions with that one.

In alphabetical order:

Bring Them Home Now www.bringthemhomenow.org

Campaign for Peace and Democracy www.cpdweb.org

Center on Peace & Liberty www.independent.org/tii/tii_
info/centerpeaceliberty.html

Conversation for Peace www.conversationforpeace.org

Draft Resistance www.draftresistance.org

Military Families Speak Out www.mfso.org

Mobilisation to Stop the Free Trade Area of the America www.stopftaa.org

MoveOn.org www.moveon.org

No War on Iraq www.nowaroniraq.org

Not In Our Name www.notinourname.net

OnPower.org www.onpower.org

Poets Against the War www.poetsagainstthewar.org

School of Americas Watch www.soaw.org

United for Peace www.unitedforpeace.org

US Labor Against the War www.uslaboragainstwar.org

Win Without War www.winwithoutwarus.org

4:22 AM  
Blogger From My Pen speaks!

While I might agree on some points with you, I look to one of my inspirations in life My Son, he is a Staff Sergent, a lifer with the Army, he has 3 small children,(1 of which was born while he was there boots on the ground),I have his letters and I still hear his words of wisdom when I complained on how unfair the war was and begged him to get out of the Army. He says it is his Honor to serve and that Bush is his Commander and he will fight with his last breath to maintain that Honor. He says to leave now will let down all those who have lost their lives and the ones who came home mutilated. He asked me what Honors lies in a man that would not lay down his life for his country, I respect that and him, so that being said he keeps his political views to himself and does a fine job training his men and offering words of comfort to me and his wife. He will leave to go back soon for another year, scared hell yes I am and I know he carries the right amount of fear with him to survive. I will not Dishonor any Military man with this and in no way would I ever support Move-On, he dishonored so many in his attempts to discredit. We must find a better way to end the war than the Hatred that is starting to consume this great country, peace is a blessing to each one of us and we must follow the Soldiers who fight to bring that peace, don't tarnish that Honor while you try to change views of our country.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Jed speaks!

Found your site through Shakespeare's Sister, bravo work. The tide is finally turning in this country. People are fed up. As evidenced by some of the comments here, even many long-time Republicans are beginning to think for themselves and speak out against this president, who doesn't represent the core of the Republican party but rather the extreme right fringe of it.

I plan to drive down from Brooklyn to join the UFPJ march on Washington Sept. 24. I have a feeling that may be one of the largest shows of protest our country has ever seen. Thanks to people like Cindy Sheehan, the groundswell is building big time. People are tired of all the bullshit.

Don't be silenced. Keep speaking out. Let your voice be heard. I will link you on my blog and promise to promote any efforts you put forth to help stop this madness.

Keep up the good work.

MR. PRESIDENT, WE HATE YOUR WAR

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home